What's new and fixed in vCenter Update 1a:
- This is the first update that is also available for the vCenter (Linux based) appliance
- For the appliance it switches the embedded DB2 database to VMware's own vPostgres database.
- The problem with excessive memory consumption of the tomcat6 service (KB2013890) has been resolved.
- The problem with HA restarts failing for VMs that were migrated with Storage VMotion (KB2013639) is fixed.
- For a full list of fixes see Release notes.
What's new in the ESXi 5.0 Patch Release ESXi500-201207001:
- Fixes the problem with syslogging stopping when the syslog server becomes unreachable (KB2003127).
- Fixes the VM autostart feature that was broken in the free version of 5.0 (see my earlier post about this, and the fix announcement of Kyle Gleed)
- For a full list of fixes see KB2019107 and further KB articles that are referenced there.
Here is a link to the full ESXi 5.0 update bundle: ESXi500-201207001.